Hello Everyone, you all are welcome to our blog Gujrati Rotlo Food Recipes. In this article, we will be learning Dabeli recipe & we will learn how to make Gujarati Dabeli recipe in 15 minutes in a detailed way and you can serve Dabeli રેસીપી to your friends, family and loved ones. Before we move ahead with the recipe, let us share some information about our blog Gujarati Rotlo (ગુજરતી રોટલો) Food Recipes with you all. We started our food channel in September 2022, with a simple vision of letting every individual prepare their own food without being dependent on a house help / chef / home maker.
In this blog you will get regular updates on popular food recipes and all our recipes will be completely pure vegetarian. We are here to help you cook delicious meals with less stress and more joy. We offer recipes and cooking advice for home cooks, starters, or experienced ones. Helping create “kitchen wins” is what we’re all about. Here you will get all the popular Gujarati, south Indian, north Indian, Chinese, and other food recipes.
What is Dabeli?
The most well-known street dish in Gujarat, the sweet and sour Dabeli, must also be mentioned when talking about the state’s lively culture. Although it is more commonly known as Kacchi Dabeli, this Dabeli recipe of mine can also temporarily transport you to Gujarat as you enjoy it! One of the unique selling points of this food, which is also fairly well-liked in Maharashtra, is the dabeli masala.
You must thus be wondering what the name of this meal actually mean, Dabeli is a Gujarati word that means “pressed.” This is evident from the preparation of the meal, which involves stuffing or pressing a delicious potato mash flavored with Dabeli Masala between buttered bread (dinner rolls).
Ingredients used to prepare Dabeli Recipe:
- 08 TSP – DHANA
- 02 TSP – CUMIN SEED
- 04 PC – TEJ PATTA
- 02 TSP – WHITE TIL
- 02 TSP – BLACK PEPPER SEED
- 02 TSP –CLOVE
- 02 PC –CINNAMON STICK
- 02 TSP – SOUF POWDER
- 03 TSP – KASHMIRI RED CHILLY POWDER
- 02 TSP – GARLIC PASTE
- 03 TSP – RED CHILLY POWDER
- 1/2 TSP – SALT
DATES & JAGGERY CHUTNEY:
- 100 GMS – DATES
- 100 GMS – JAGGERY
- 1/2 PC – LEMON
- 1/2 TSP – SALT
- 1/2 TSP – RED CHILLY POWDER
- 1/2 TSP – CUMIN SEED
- 08 PC – BOILED POTATO
- 06 PC – BUN BREAD
- 02 TSP – BLACK SALT
- 04 TSP – COCONUT POWDER
- 100 GMS – BUTTER
- 01 PC – POMOGRANATE
- 100 GMS – MASALA PEANUTS
- 100 GMS – BESAN SEV
- 04 PC – ONION
- 01 TSP – WATER
- 08 TSP – GROUNDNUT OIL
- Begin by making the Dabeli Masala. In a small pan, dry roast the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, and sesame seeds over medium heat until they are fragrant.
- Remove the pan from heat and let the roasted spices cool. Once cooled, grind the spices in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, ground peanuts, ground spices, red chili powder, turmeric powder, amchur powder, sugar, and salt. Mix everything together until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 8-10 equal portions.
- To make the Dabeli, take one portion of the mixture and flatten it slightly. Place it on one half of a pav and press it gently to adhere.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully place the stuffed pavs in the pan and fry them until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Remove the pavs from the pan and drain them on a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- To make the tamarind chutney, combine the tamarind pulp, jaggery, red chili powder, and salt in a pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the jaggery has melted and the chutney has thickened.
- To make the garlic chutney, combine the grated coconut, roasted peanuts, cilantro, garlic, green chilies, salt, and water in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Once the pavs are fried, cut them in half and stuff them with the mixture of mashed potatoes and peanuts, sev, pomegranate seeds, and coriander leaves.
- Serve the Dabeli hot, topped with tamarind chutney and garlic chutney.
Recipe Video: How to Make Dabeli Recipe at Home | Learn Gujarati Dabeli in 15 minutes
Checkout our other Recipes:
- You can also add other toppings such as chopped onions, tomatoes, and cilantro to the Dabeli for added flavor and texture.
- If you prefer a sweeter Dabeli, you can also add some jaggery or sugar to the mashed potato mixture.
- If you don’t have pavs, you can also use slider buns or any small dinner roll.
- For a vegan version, you can use oil instead of ghee.
Dabeli is a delicious and satisfying street food from Gujarat, India that is perfect for a quick snack or as a party appetizer. The combination of mashed potatoes, spices, peanuts, and chutneys creates a perfect balance of flavors and textures. It’s a easy to make and customizable dish that you can enjoy with your family and friends. Experiment with different toppings and chutneys to find the perfect combination that suits your taste buds.
The recipe provided above is a traditional version of Dabeli recipe that is sure to please any palate. With a few simple adjustments, you can make this Gujarati Dabeli recipe suit your personal taste preferences and it can be made within 15 minutes. So, next time you crave for street food, give this Dabeli recipe a try and enjoy a taste of Gujarat in your own home.
Question 1: What is Dabeli?
Ans: Dabeli is a popular street food from the Indian state of Gujarat. It is made by mixing boiled potatoes with a special masala mix, and then stuffing the mixture into a pav (a type of Indian bun).
Question 2: What are the main ingredients in Dabeli?
Ans: Boiling potatoes, a specific spice blend, pav (an Indian bun), chutneys, sev (a sort of fried noodle), peanuts, and pomegranate seeds are the major components of dabeli.
Question 3: How is Dabeli typically served?
Ans: Gujarat has a large number of street food vendors who sell dabeli, which is primarily served as a snack dish. It is often served hot and frequently consumed with tea or coffee.
Question 4: How long does it take to make Dabeli Recipe?
Ans: The time it takes to make Dabeli can vary depending on the Dabeli recipe and method used. However, it can typically be prepared in 15-20 minutes.
Question 5: Can I make Dabeli Recipe at home?
Ans: Yes, you can easily make Dabeli at home using a simple recipe and common ingredients. With the right recipe and some practice, you can make Dabeli that is just as good as what you would find at a street food vendor in Gujarat.