Hello Everyone, you all are welcome to our blog Gujrati Rotlo Food Recipes. In this article, we will be learning How to make Batata Vada Recipe in a detailed way and you can serve Batata Vada or Aloo vada to your friends, family and loved ones.
Before we move ahead with the recipe, let us share some information about our blog Gujarati Rotlo (ગુજરતી રોટલો) Food Recipes with you all.
We started our food channel in September 2022, with a simple vision of letting every individual prepare their own food without being dependent on a house help / chef / home maker.
In this blog you will get regular updates on popular food recipes and all our recipes will be completely pure vegetarian. We are here to help you cook delicious meals with less stress and more joy. We offer recipes and cooking advice for home cooks, starters, or experienced ones.
Helping create “kitchen wins” is what we’re all about. Here you will get all the popular Gujarati, south Indian, north Indian, Chinese, and other food recipes
What is Batata Vada or Aloo vada?
Batata Vada is a popular snack from the streets of Maharashtra. Batata Vada is prepared using mashed potatoes coated in a thick besan (chickpea flour) batter and deep fried till golden. Served with a tangy chutney, Batata Vada is a street food delight that you can easily prepare at home during the monsoon season or usually as an evening snack. These are simple and quick so you can easily dish up this chatpata snack when unexpected guests arrive.
There are a lot of variations in the way the potato stuffing is made. Even in Maharashtra Batata vada tastes different in different regions like Pune, nashik, kolhapur etc.
In fact in Mumbai itself it tastes different amongst the different vendors. The taste is different due to the inclusion of different spices in the potato filling. This is the same batata vada that we use in the Vada pav.
Ingredients used to prepare Batata Vada Recipe:
- Boiled Potato – 750 gms
- Besan – 500 gms
- Mustard & Cumin seed – 01 tsp
- Curry leaf – Few
- Ginger & Green chilly paste – 02 tsp
- Salt – 03
- Turmeric – 01 tsp
- Garam Masala – 01 tsp
- Lemon – 01 pc
- Water – 350 ml (for besan batter)
- Groundnut oil (for frying vada)
Instructions for preparing Besan Batter :
- Take a bowl, add besan in the vessel.
- Now add salt as per taste & turmeric.
- Add water cautiously little by little & keep stiring till the consistency of the batter becomes perfect.
- To check the batter, drop the batter upside down. The consistency should be liitle running & not too hard but perfect to fry the vada properly.
- Now after the batter is ready let it be at rest till the Batata Vada stuffing is prepared.
Instructions for preparing Batata Vada Stuffing :
- Rinse and then add potatoes in a pressure cooker. Also add water.
- Pressure cook for 7 to 8 minutes on medium flame or for 5 to 6 whistles.
- When the pressure falls down on its own, remove the lid. The potatoes have to be cooked well. Remove the potatoes and let them become cool.
- When the potatoes become cool, peel and mash potatoes with a fork or potato masher. Don’t mash too much.
- After all the potatoes are mashed well, add salt, ginger & green chilly paste, turmeric, garam masala & lemon juice.
- Heat a little oil in a pan for tampering, add mustard & cumin seed, curry leaf in the pan after the oil is heated well.
- Add the tampering mixture in the Batata vada stuffing.
- Mix all the spices with the potatoes & make a perfect stuffing for batata vada.
- Now make medium size balls out the stuffing & place it in a plate.
- Heat the oil in the kadai, add 2-3 vada in the oil once it is ready for frying.
- Fry all the Batata Vada same way in a medium flame until the vada turns its color to golden.
- Serve the hot & crispy Batata Vada with green chutney or tomato sauce.
Checkout our other Recipes:
Batata vada is a fried snack of batter-coated potato stuffed fritter dumplings. Making these take some time but absolutely worth it. It is a lip-smacking recipe made with potato, special dry masala, and gram flour base batter. it is served with khatti-meethi chutney and fried chilies. It is ideal to be served as an evening snack with a cup of tea or coffee. So, with a few basic ingredients try out tasty and spicy Batata Vada Recipe. I share this lip smacking delicious recipe of Maharashtrian style Batata Vada Recipe that you will love & enjoy eating!!